Monday, May 12, 2014

Risky Pursuit


Christ never intended those who walked with him to feel comfortable and safe.
This was meant to be a risk-it-all pursuit.
-Jennie Allen, author of Anything

The word pursuit in the above quote gives the connotation of movement.  Not just ambling along or even fast-walking but flat out running.  The Bible also has some things to say about running.

1 Corinthians 9:24-25 says, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever."

Hebrews 12:1 says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us..."

I am reading Anything by Jennie Allen with three other women.  The book is about how her husband and she prayed 'anything' to the Lord - they would go anywhere and do anything.  This intrigued us because in so many ways, we had already done our 'anything'.  We all had left our family, friends, church and everything familiar to us to obey the Lord and follow him to the Zambian bush.  Some people might think that we are done.  Through the guidance of this book, our comments to each other and most importantly - the Holy Spirit, we are all learning that there are more anythings out there for each of us.  Anything doesn't stop with one act of obedience.  Anything continues and as I am discovering through The Word - it is a race.  We are told to RUN with perseverance.

So, as I take stock of my spiritual life, I think that I am feeling like I am not running in pursuit of the Lord.  I am exercising - doing my quiet time each morning - but I am just kind of jogging in place.  I want this risk-it-all pursuit.  I want to RUN.  Am I crazy?  Did I just write that?  I am not a runner - just ask my marathon loving husband.  I don't want to just amble along this race that the Lord has placed before me; nor do I just want to fast-walk it but I really do want to pursue the Lord in a brand new way.  I'm thinking that this pursuit won't be easy.  When I think of running, I think of difficulties and pain but as my husband will tell you, as you persevere, it gets easier.... 
Who's with me?  




1 comment:

Robin Ensign said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, Robyn. I feel this way, too. Sounds like a great book.