Thursday, December 18, 2014

What is next week?

It was Kids Ministry Day today and it happened to be exactly one week before Christmas.  I broke from chronologically storying the Bible and went back to tell the story of Jesus' birth again this afternoon.  We had lots of kids today - over 80.  It was heartbreaking to me to look out over 80+ beautiful ebony children, ask them what holiday is next week and nobody knows what holiday it might be.  Think on that....a church full of kids that did not know that Christmas is next week.  
I don't even know where to go with that.  It resonates deep in my heart.

Today, I brought with me about 130 brand new Crayola Crayons to give to the kids as a small Christmas present.  I had thought that I might be able to give them two, maybe even three crayons each but as more kids filed into the church this afternoon, I realized it would have to be only one crayon for each child.  They were very, very thrilled to each get one single crayon.  They knew what they were because we had colored pictures together a couple of times before today.  
As I was feeling a bit downcast for these kids, I realized that I had done far more than just give them one crayon for Christmas - I had taken the opportunity to share about the birth of Jesus and make the connection for them that this baby that was born in a stable is the same Jesus that we have been talking about recently - the same one that healed the blind, drove out demons, walked on water, fed 5000+ people; and was crucified, buried then rose again to save the world from their sins.  This is not about me, please don't believe that - about what I did but it is totally about the Gospel.  We would not have this Good News if not for that baby in the manger.  

Just a few of the kids with their crayon.


So, let me go out on a limb here.  Which is better - 1 crayon or the Gospel?  Which is worse - teaching our children that Christmas is all about celebrating the birth of Jesus but then showering them with mounds of Christmas presents or children who would only receive 1 crayon along with the Christmas Story and a Gospel presentation?  


No comments: